Thursday, July 06, 2006

Third Base Coach

It occurred to me after our softball game tonight that God is kind of like the third base coach of our lives. During the last inning of our game, we were losing badly and I got on 1st base after hitting a ground ball to the short stop which resulted in the consequence of Jimmy getting thrown out at 2nd base. So there was one out, with only me sitting pretty on first. We had not scored a run the entire game. Ross came up to bat after me and I thought to myself, “ I don’t really care anymore, I’m going to just run as hard and as far as I can after he hits the ball. Before I rounded 2nd base, Tater, who was acting as 3rd base coach, was yelling “Go three Webb, Go three.” As I came near 3rd, Tater screamed with bouncing enthusiasm, “Go home, Go home, Get you one Webb.” So I never looked up the entire time, never tried to listen to anyone else, just heard Tater’s words echoing in my head and ran like there was no tomorrow. After my foot slapped home plate, I turned around to see Ross not far behind me. He got home safely as well.

How does this apply to anything related to God? Psalm 119:33 says, “I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.” During the game, I ran as hard as I could and only listened for Tater’s voice. We must do this for God. We run as hard as we can in the things that we already know constitute God’s will for our lives. Then we listen for his voice to tell us which base to stop on. For example, I already know it is God’s will that I live a holy life and live as an example to others, so I try to do that and then listen for His voice to guide me in what to do for specific situations or major decisions.

It is however, hard to run in God’s commands if we are not aware of them. Interestingly, Colossians 1:10-13 tells us four things that help us to live a live worthy of the Lord and please him in everyway. Seldom do we read scripture that specifically and blatantly tells us, ‘this is how you please God.’ However, these verses instruct us to bear fruit in good works, grow in our knowledge of God, be strengthened by God’s power to live a life of endurance and patience, and lastly, to joyfully give thanks to God for providing redemption to us through Jesus. How are you doing in these four things? Go home; get you one.

No comments: