Saturday, April 28, 2007

A Good Soldier

I ran across this video on Mark Driscoll's blog that has to do with the issue of church planting. Evidently the video was too hardcore for the church planting conference it was to be distributed at, because after the showing of the video it was criticized from stage because it didn't refer to women church planters. It was to be distributed to the 1,500 plus church planters in attendance but because of the criticism from a keynote speaker, it was never distributed. What do you think...should a woman be a church planter? Check it out and leave comments.




See Mark's original post here.

3 comments:

Walk said...

Good stuff, you got to love some Driscoll. How does he come up with all of those analogies?

I don't know if I agree with what Bill did here. I mean Driscoll was asked to put together a video about things and issues that he thought was important for church planting. It doesn't mean that it was a summary of all Driscoll thinks is important in church planting, or that He doesn't think women have gifts to be used. It is ridiculous to think that, it was just a summary of what Driscoll thought was important in church planting.

Makes me wonder if Bill would have critized it if Mark was there. Anyway now the whole world can see it.

Walk said...

Here is a quote I found from Bill after the video was played.

"After that video i would like to acknowledge that there are women in this room and they have spiritual gifts.
[applause and yelling]
Bill's community - all gifts used.

I just doubt very seriously that Mark was saying, "women don't have spiritual gifts". He never said anything about it nor implied it.

Chance Witherspoon said...

Well from other sources that I've read...the way Driscoll described it on his blog is not the way it happened at the conference. I don't think Bill's comments were out of line, because I do feel like a woman at that conference would feel left out after that video. However, I agree with you that Mark was surely not implying that women didn't have spiritual gifts. Anyways, there are always going to be tons of philosophies on church planting and who is to say which one is right?