Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Top 100 Guitarist of All Time


I ran across this the other day on Guitarport online. http://www.guitarport.com/top.html

Here is their Top 20, you can get the rest of the Top 100 from the link.







1.
Jimi Hendrix
2. Eddie Van Halen
3. Eric Clapton
4.
Jimmy Page
5. Steve Vai
6. Stevie Ray Vaughan
7. Joe Satriani
8. David Gilmour
9. Brian May
10. B.B. King
11. Carlos Santana
12. Jeff Beck
13. Mark Knopfler
14. Angus Young
15. Les Paul
16. Slash
17. Yngwie Malmsteen
18. Eric Johnson
19. Randy Rhoads
20. Ritchie Blackmore

It is always hard to pick the top guitarist, but I think guitarport did a decent job, especially on the top 10. After that it gets kind of hard to rank them.

For the Top 10, I would proably move Eddie Van Halen down to spot 4 and move Clapton and Page in front of him.

I don't agree with some of the later ones. I think Wes Montgomery is way better than 59, Gary Rossington should at least be in the Top 50, not 96. Duane Allman and Prince should probably move up a few spots also. And where in the world is Brad Paisley, country and southern rock don't get any respect.

But anyways, I thought it was a decent list, way better than Rolling Stones list, which is a joke.
What you think?




2 comments:

witherspoonorama said...

I think it's pretty good but I'd move around the top 20 a good bit. Move Eddie down to about 12 and move Page to 2. Mave David Gilmour 5 and move Randy Rhoads to 4. I'd put Morello at 6 instead of 62 because he is insane. I'd put Yngwie at 7 and Rossington at 8. Duane at 9 and Hammett at 10. Slash at 11. 13 I'd put SRV and 14 Brian May. Tony Iommi at 15 and at 16 Vai and 17 Satriani. B.B. at 18. 19. I'd put Dave Mustaine and 20 Dicky Betts. But then again I'm a rock fan and most of those are the people I listen to the most. Atleast Stones got Jimi right.

Chance Witherspoon said...

I'm not the metal afficionado like the rest of yall but I do have some opinion on the matter. In fact these lists are a bunch of bologna because the world's best guitarist's aren't heavy metal rockers. There is no doubt in my mind that the best guitarists are classical players and other acoustic players. With that being said I would leave Jimi at the #1 because of his innovation and unique style that separates him from the rest...including the fact that he sang as well. I would drop Eddie Van Halen out of the top 7 and move Page in front of Clapton. Rossington has to be up there somewhere too. Anyways...

1. Jimi
2. Andres Segovia
3. Page
4. Clapton
5. Stevie Ray Vaughan
6. Randy Rhoads
7. Gilmour
8. Tony Rice
9. Rossington
10.Santana

Honorable Mention:
Brad Paisley
Bryan Sutton
James Nash