Tuesday, October 09, 2007

John Piper: The State of the Pulpit Today



Here is an interesting video from Piper I found from the Gospel Coalition website.

It really blows my mind to see people like John Piper, who have studied and preached the truths found in the Gospel for a long time, but are still just as passionate and consumed by these truth as they were when they first learned them. It seems like each time they go to preach, they are excited by what God is teaching them through the scriptures. They do not try to preach the latest fad, they are not afraid to teach the Bible even though the surveys, and cultural experts say that is not the way to draw a crowd or reach people today. They are confident that the Gospel can change lives. We need more pastors like that, it is definitely refreshing and encouraging to see long time pastors still passionate about the Gospel.

Romans 1:16
1 Corinthians 1:18-30

Also, I just got my ESV. I think I am gonna switch over to it as my main translation. The only problem is alot of the passages I know are in the NIV. But, I really like the ESV, I have been reading and using it when I am online, so I would highly recommend at least buying a copy if you can afford it. You don't have to switch over, but it is definitely a translation I would have. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Joshua Philbeck said...

The ESV is great. I use it most of the time and I just ordered the Rykens new literary study bible.

http://esvliterarystudybible.com

on that site you can listen to the bible and read the study notes.

Piper is very pro ESV right?

Walk said...

Yeah, Piper is pro ESV. Here is an article from him talking about why.

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/
Articles/ByDate/2004/1534_Good_
English_With_Minimal_Translation_
Why_Bethlehem_Uses_the_ESV/

Thanks for that website, I might have to buy that as well, I have heard good things about it. I have heard good things about Rykens Bible Handbook as well, do you know anything about that?