Sunday, April 23, 2006

Hell?



For those of you who are wondering what in the heck this is a picture of; this is a shot looking inside of a 2300 degree wood-fired pottery kiln. I was over at Tom's this weekend helping him fire his pots in the kiln and decided to take some pictures of the event because of how awesome the process of kiln firing is. While I was there though, I couldn't help but think about the power of God and the fact that he created fire, and how powerful and mysterious it is. I think we can learn a lot about God by examing fire and its qualities, maybe I'm just a pyro, but I'll save that for another blog.


Now I'm not sure if you believe in a literal hell or not, but it sure is mentioned a lot in the Bible and I think we have to believe in the literal existence of hell in order to have a geniune faith. If not what's the point in trying to "escape the flames" as so many people say? If hell doesn't exist why do we have to worry about how we live in this life?


I don't like to think about hell, nor do I ever want to condemn anyone to that aweful place. However, I couldn't help but think of hell when I saw all of these flames as we threw the pine slabs into the kiln. And I realized that if anyone was able to look inside this kiln and feel the extreme heat that comes away from the flame and they knew hell was a place like that but worse, they would definitely never want to go to that place. So I figured I would post up these awesome pictures and see what they made ya'll think about. Do they remind you of Hell? Or am I just a crazy pyro who happens to be a Christian, haha?

If you are still interested about the pottery firing process, just let me know; I have some more pictures from the day.

(PS: One of my pots is in the picture. It's the large bowl in the far upperhand right corner. )


1 comment:

Walk said...

Wicked pics man, especially that fourth one. That flame in the lower left corner looks like it’s not supposed to be there, like it’s superimposed on the pic or something, lol.