Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Ultimate MegaChurch?















How far is too far when it comes to MegaChurches? Should a church really have to meet in a NBA size sports stadium? I'm not sure, but something has to be working for Joel Osteen and Lakewood Church. Check out this blog on Lakewood's new 16,000 seat sanctuary.

This seems a little ridiculous and I am somewhat skeptical but I really do hope this is a huge sized God-thing and not a money-thing to fatten someone's wallet. What do ya'll think?

2 comments:

Walk said...

I know what ya mean Spoon, I am a little skeptical too. I read were they allotted $90 million to renovate this stadium.

He gets a bad rap from Christian apologist and mainline Protestantism, who claim that he borrows from the “World-Faith Movement” or “Prosperity Gospel”. This includes people like Benny Hinn, Copeland, Baker, Joyce Meyer, etc. I guess it depends on how much you borrow from that doctrine. Some people consider it off center at best and a cult at worst.

I don’t know where Joel stands or what his motives are, but I can see a lot of correlations. Such as in “Positive confession” which says that by declaring or saying with words we can create things or situations into existence, just as God spoke things into existence. He also seems to teach a lot about how God wants to bless you financially and all that.

I don’t know if this has attributed to Lakewood’s growth or not, but I hope that it was God. Maybe all this rap is just from jealous pastors, lol. But I do think it is our place to discern what authentic ministry is and what its not.

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»