Monday, January 22, 2007

Reflections: 1st Worship Service of the New Year

Well I've been thinking a bunch about how slack I've been when it comes to contributing some worthwhile reading to this thing we call the Foundation blog and decided I would write some reflections on yesterday's Worship Gathering...the first of '07.

1. It's been way too long from our last service until this one...good gracious I didn't realize how much I missed having a worship service to go to that I actually enjoyed. I know, I know...that sounds bad but really, why should a worship service be boring? Who said you shouldn't enjoy praising God. In fact, it's probably a sin when a service is boring, because God is not boring, and if our half-hearted efforts to create a routine, run-of-the-mill service cause something that ends up boring...then my friend, we have misrepresented the God we claim to worship.

2. New People. I'm always thrilled to see new folks coming to The Foundation events and its a great feeling every time to see people come back for a second time. I really hope we are doing a good job at providing authentic community. We are working really hard at that and I hope we'll see some improvement in that area due to our new leadership structure.

3.We have the best band ever. So OK, maybe that's a slight overstatement but, I think the music this service was the best it's ever been (must be the sound guy, haha), but again maybe that's because it's been 2 months since the last service. Props to the new girl in town, Amy, who sang with the team for the first time. I'm so ready for the new PA. Great song selection this time Aaron.

4. Webb had a great message on what Church really is. He had it tough this time, since topical preaching isn't his cup of tea, he's more of an exegetical man, but he did a terrific job communicating what God's family really is. I'm really excited about the next message on what our role is within the Church. That'll be happening on Feb. 4th, 2pm-Aldersgate Gym.

5. We had a first time ever happening at a Foundation Service, we actually asked for money, haha. We just bought a new PA to help us in our efforts of getting over to the CCC campus to do ministry and we took up an offering after the service in some buckets at the back. Mad props to some generous broke college kids who gave almost 600 bucks towards the new PA. Thanks to all the "older" folks who pitched in as well, we love yall too!



That's all for this week....feel free to leave some comments or reflections on how you thought the service went...

1 comment:

Professor Webb said...

I really felt like this past sunday was a worshipful experience. When I kept in mind that church isnt about ME, we're there to meet with Christ, it makes a big difference in perspective.