Monday, February 06, 2006

Words of Wisdom from Bishop El Chupacabra

Lately a lot of my lessons at Sunday School at church and on Wednesday nights and a lot of the things that I've been reading in the bible lately deal with what we as Christians are called to do. Each and every Christian is called by God to do something. Just because we have a calling from Christ doesn't mean that everyone will be a preacher or a sunday school teacher or missionary.

Everyone is given a special gift from God and we should use this gift in order to do his works. For instance if you are a good writer maybe you could write essays or even a blog like I am doing, or if you are a good people person and it's easy for you to talk to someone then we should not be afraid to say something to someone and talk to them about God. However, I feel that the best way for Christians to be set apart and to minister is by our actions.

In Sunday School this morning it was mentioned about how easy it is to be a Christian nowadays and I fully agree. It seems that anyone could claim to be a Christian just because they attend church every now and then or maybe own a bible. But we have to ask ourselves can we really be considered a child of Christ? I'm speaking about myself here also, just to clarify. Recently at Crossroads they mentioned a few statitstics, and I'm not sure if what I'm about to say were the exact numbers but over 60 percent of people in America that were surveyed said that they were Christians. However, only a little over 30 percent had been to church regularly the past 4 weeks. And only 4 percent said that their relationship with God was the most important thing in their life. Because it is so easy to be considered a Christian in the present day I feel like we have been misled. Christians are no longer persecuted because Christianity has been watered down so much that it's as if the church was modernized so it would fit in with the world. If Christians were to be persecuted today as they were in the time of Jesus and during early Roman times or even as they were when settlers first moved to
America would we still consider ourselves Christians and openly proclaim it?

Its as if people today believe that by just saying that they are Christians they deserve the love and mercy that God has granted us! I'm sorry but no human deserves his grace! But we have the opportunity to recieve it yet so many people pass it up and even more completely disregard the things that God has told us to do. How many of us out there actually have a close relationship with Him? How many of us go to Him with our problems and talk to Him everyday? Pray everyday? Read His teachings everyday? Are content with what He has given us? How many of us honestly feel that if we were not able to tell people we were Christians that they would be able to tell from our actions? Can people tell that we are different and filled with the Spirit? Can they tell that the Spirit is working within us? Can we tell? A quote that has popped into my head a lot lately is Does Jesus know that you are saved? Now if you ask me that's some tough beans to swallow because if He can't tell then how will other people be able to tell?

I'm issuing a challenge for everyone out there who is serious about their beliefs and I will also accept this challenge. There seems to be a large emphasis on mission work and I feel like the best way to lead more people is by our actions. I also feel that a lot of the mission work that needs to be done is not outside the country, or even outside the state but within our church and even more within ourselves. In Galations 5 19-23 it talks of the ways of the world and how we should stay away from such things. "Now the works of the flesh are obvious: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, anger, quarrels, dissensions, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these. I am warning you, as I warned you before: those who do such things will not inherit the
kingdom of God. By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. There is no laws against such things." So my challenge is that we should live the way that God wants us to live by following what he says in the Bible. It could not be anymore clearer then what it was in Galations. My challenge is also that we will try and have a true relationship with God and have His fire constantly burning in us. The fire that will always have us wanting to do more for Him.

I'm going to end with Revelations 3: 15-20 because I believe that it sums up most of my ramblings. Stating that we must not let God control only part of our lives but all of our lives. That we do not need to be lukewarm Christians. "I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I wish that you were either cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to spit you out of my mouth. For you say, 'I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing.' You do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. Therefore I counsel you to buy from me the gold refined by fire so that you may be rich; and white robes to clothe you and to keep the shame of your nakedness from being seen; and salve to annoint your eyes so that you may see. I reprove and discipline those whom I love. Be earnest, therefore, and repent. Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me." So come on people how much more clearer does it have to be? He's at your door, He is knocking and all He wants is for you to let Him in. People quit being so dang hard headed! Let Him in, eat with Him, and invite others! Let the light from His fire burn through you so everyone can see.

Special thanks to Justin Webb for talking on self control and showing me the Galations passage. Also to Nate Sapok for being such an inspiration and never ceasing to amaze me with his passion for Christ.

1 comment:

Chance Witherspoon said...

Thats some good stuff right there. Looking forward to more posts from the Bishop.