Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Monday Munchies: Food for Thought...the Da Vinci Code

So it’s come to my attention that there is this new movie out called “the Da Vinci Code”. Now thanks to the history channel and discovery channel, I think I might be approaching the opinion that I’m an expert on the subject…a dangerous thought indeed. I thought I’d write on it because if anything is causing people to think about religion, this movie is.

While I was on vacation, I noticed that the Catholic Church had bought a page add in the sports section encouraging Christians not to see this movie. That seemed a little extreme to me. Let me break it down on the theology of this movie just in case there is anyone who doesn’t know what I’m talking about. The movie is actually about this dude who is solving this mystery that the church has tried to cover up and several people are trying to kill each other and no body knows who’s a good guy and who’s a bad guy. The mystery however, is that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and she bore his child, which was the real “Holy Grail”. Now some people have actually started saying that they believe this. I’ll go ahead and say it in writing. The book is fiction, the movie is fiction, and it is made up. Now that I’ve stated that, we’ll get to playing with the idea.

There seems to be a lot of evidence that points to a cover up involving Mary Magdalene possibly bearing the child of Christ. This all occurs in the Catholic Church of course so I think the mystery should begin to be solved there. The Catholic Church is part of the body of Christ, the do more for their communities than most protestant churches ever even think of. That said Catholics and Protestants like myself disagree on a few issues of theology. (All statements are generalizations) One of these differences is how they elevate Mary, Jesus’ mother. Most Catholics believe that she was born without sin and that she never had sex (which leaves a lot of questions about James). They did this because the male driven society had an almost impossible time dealing with Jesus, the Son of God being born by a woman. So they made the Virgin Mary better than other women. Now, “what does this have to do with Mary Magdalene?” you ask. Mary Magdalene was also…get this…a woman! She was a disciple of Jesus (the bible says that she sat at his feet which is how a Rabi (what is the plural form of Rabi…Rabites?) teaches) and she was the first one to see Jesus after he is risen which also makes her the first one to ever proclaim the gospel that Jesus is risen! Now would a society that has a problem with a woman giving birth be ok with a woman being the first to know and therefore believe in Christ as the Risen Lord? I think not.

This is what I believed happened. A few people thought, Mary Magdalene must have been better than other women too. We’ll say that she married Jesus and because we live in France, we’ll say that she came to France and had her baby here. We’ll say that this is where our royalty come from. Now, even in this society, the Catholic Church knows that it is super problematic for Jesus to have a child. So they told these few people to shut up. Hence looking like a cover up. The people who made it up and the royalty obviously didn’t want to let this idea die. That is why there are so many clues. So there, I solved it.

About the movie, I think it is probably a good thing as a whole, some people will actually believe this as truth, but really, more people will really think about this stuff. So I’ll end with a few questions. Let me remind everyone that Jesus did not have a child. But what if He did? Would it really matter? Would some one walk up to you and be like, “God’s my great great great great great great granddad”? All you’d have to say is “Oh yeah, well, God is my Father!” Aren’t all believers God’s children? Something to think about. And as always, everything here is my opinion and not gospel. also, I’ve heard mixed things about the movie some like it and some hate it, so this isn’t exactly a recommendation just a reflection.

No comments: