Monday, May 01, 2006

Whether Living in Plenty or in Want

One of the times in my life when I felt the most peace happened at a worship service at BigStuf camp two summers ago. I was immersed in God’s presence as I remembered that peace was one of the fruits of the Spirit according to Galatians 5. For me, this was a reminder that God’s Spirit was really there and I was able to truly celebrate Him while being glad and resting secure under His protective watch. It was like being in paradise, if only for an hour.

However, recently I have had some anxiety about my college graduation since I am currently unemployed. Furthermore, I have had some difficulty finding a job. Because of this it has been hard to experience the same type of peace I felt two summers ago at BigStuf. However, lately I remembered that patience is also one of the fruits of the Spirit mentioned in Galatians 5. In addition to this, God has caused Philippians 4:12 to come to mind often: “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want” (NIV).
I believe patience can be closely tied into the contentment of which Paul speaks of in Philippians 4:12. Paul writes the letter to the Philippians from prison, (I think he was imprisoned in Caesarea while writing) where he patiently waited either his release or his execution.

Imprisonment was nothing new to Paul. Neither were beatings and other hardships as he affirms himself in 2 Corinthians 11:23-29. It is amazing to think that Paul could be patient and content in these circumstances. On the other hand though, Paul also says in 4:12 that he knows what it is like to have plenty. Indeed, as a Pharisee from Tarsus (3rd largest city in the Roman Empire) he may have been well-to-do before becoming a Christian. His co-worker Barnabas may have also been wealthy, so they may have had plenty of dough on their first missionary journey (Acts 13-14).

Sometimes we cannot be content in good circumstances or ill ones. Paul implies that he had learned from God how to do both. So we also must take the command of our Savior genuinely not put worry into tomorrow but take each day for what it is worth. In taking life a stride at a time with patience and contentment in the Lord, we can find the momentary peace time and time again that flows from God as he continues to teach us. So enjoy the sunshine, breathe some fresh air, or just run around. Find a way to celebrate God somehow irrespective of what else is going on.

3 comments:

Vitamin A said...

Good blog, I think it is also important to note the spiritual gift of joy (thats the one i got more than others). Joy comes from Hope, which can help bring perserverence. I feel like alot of these fruits are tied together.

Anonymous said...

I agree and can hear how God has spoken through you! It is my prayer that those in spiritual need can learn what God has taught through this post and find those precious fruits of the spirit that all of us trees SHOULD be producing....

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»