Monday, May 15, 2006

Monday Munchies...Food for Thought: Creationism V Evolutionism

So today as I was walking around the somewhat new Disney park called “Animal Kingdom”, which is Disney’s version of a zoo (Expedition Everest and the Safari rocked my face off), my thoughts were unavoidably drawn towards creation. This always leads to an interesting debate in my head about creationism v evolution.

Creationism (I’m not 100% I’m using the right term, but it will work for our conversation) is the belief that everything involving creation happened exactly as the bible said, which includes the belief that the earth is only about 10,000 years old. This obviously leaves some very interesting questions about dinosaurs and fossils that are millions of years old according to our carbon dating techniques. There are some interesting attempts at answers including the possibility that dinosaurs may still exist in some areas of the world such as the Congo and (my favorite) the idea that maybe God just pretended like there were dinosaurs and stuck a bunch of bones in the ground to give us something to do and wonder about.

On the other hand Evolutionist believe that the earth has been around for billons of years and that all life evolved, effectively eliminating the need for a creator and therefore is a view very popular with atheists. This view has lots of week points including the probability of evolving like we did being about the same as a tornado going through a junkyard and assembling a Bowing 747 jet. (we’ll just call it impossible for our conversation) Another problem is Human nature, our appreciation of aesthetic pleasures such as the beauty of a flower, or appreciation of a song. That has no use to insure the survival of humans and shouldn’t have ever been evolved into.

Now I don’t agree with any of these points. I believe the earth is older than 10000 years old, and I don’t think the entire bible should be understood literally. (there are arguments about what should and what shouldn’t be taken literally, but we’ll save that for later) I don’t believe in evolution either, there is no way any one can convince me I evolved from a fish. I do believe that God created the earth with all its mysteries and wonders for us to discover. I also believe that He gave it to us and is our responsibility to take care of it. I personally don’t think we’re doing a good job of being good stewards of our resources and gifts He has given us in this regard.
Anyway, I hope this left yall with some questions. I purposely left some things unanswered, but read your bible, pray and trust the Holy Spirit and google this stuff to know what you believe, just remember the prayer and the Holy Spirit part and you’ll have nothing to worry about.

P.S. The Holy Spirit doesn’t quite get His dues most the time lots of talk about the Father and the Son, not much on the Holy Spirit, maybe that’ll be a good one for later.

1 comment:

Professor Webb said...

Good Points man, I pretty much agree with you 100%. Looking at creation always makes me think of God. I also like the part about God giving us the responsibility of taking care of the earth and his creation, which is in Genesis 1.