Saturday, March 18, 2006

Narrow Vision

Well I thought I would resurrect one of my old writings that I did almost three years ago when I sent out a weekly email. This was one of the first couple of emails that I ever sent and I think it still rings true today. It talks about having a 'narrow vision' or in other words, viewing the world through a lens which is focused upon Christ.

You always hear people talk of being open to new ideas. Looking at the broad, or big, picture of things is a common secular perspective. You are taught in many classes, by many people that having a broad perspective in any situation is what's correct. I don't necessarily think that all these people are wrong by any means, but I think that in the Christian's life there is a better perspective.

One of the main Christian concepts is that in every thing you do, do it as unto the Lord. In other words, focus on that which brings God the glory in doing. In Philippians 3:14 Paul writes, "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." It seems to me that in order for Paul to win the prize he must not have a broad perspective, a wide secular vision, but instead a NARROW VISION.

So what is a narrow vision? 1 Peter 1:13 says "Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you.." Having a narrow vision means that we first prepare our minds for action. This means we develop the discipline of feasting on God's word daily and through prayer having a personal relationship. Then we must take control of our lives by living consistent and self-controlled. Finally we must focus (or have a narrow vision) on what really matters, Jesus Christ.



No comments: