Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Theological Tuesdays: Humility and Service

We have a guest writer today: Chopper Jr. Check this guy out. Don't be mislead, he may appear to be your average Harley ridin bruiser but he's studying Religion over at the G-dubb and has the Greek and Hebrew down so the only bruisin he does is on the Evil One. In this blog he'll provide us some insight into what it means to be a servant, so without further adue:


Among believers there should be an equality of serving each other. It should not be some people are the servers while others are always the ones getting served. Rather for a community of Christ-followers to function properly, one must serve and allow oneself to be served with genuine equality. In the world however, such as in a workplace or in a public area like a restaurant, we are to be a servant to all, regardless of race, gender, or appearance. We should not serve others with disingenuous motives either, such as “wanting the person to like me.” We should be able to serve someone just for the sake of serving them as Christ would do and has done. We should be able to serve a vulgar person even if they will never become a Christian. This all of course is easier said than done, but when carried out with intentionality, it helps us to have the mind of Christ more and think as he did and see people as he did and still does. One last thing I wanted to write about in this regard is the biggest lesson I believe God has ever taught me in the area of service and humility. In his providence, I believe God used a summer job I had at Cleveland Community College to teach me lessons I would not have learned otherwise. At CCC I worked with housekeeping part of the time which meant mopping floors and cleaning bathrooms. As I mopped the floor, emptied trash, and did other such dirty jobs with other college students my age watching me, God taught me what it meant to serve with a willing attitude. I had to put aside my will and my pride to do the job I had been asked to do. Mopping the floor is never fun, and mopping the floor at CCC is not like mopping the floor at Yale or Harvard. After a while though, I began to mop God’s floor. Thank the Lord this had an effect on me that I hope never diminishes the rest of my life; I want to be a servant the whole time I am alive. I will close this entry with one more thing. I once heard a preacher whom I admire say that on a way to a preacher’s meeting he stopped to help a woman change a flat tire and then walked into the preacher’s meeting late with his tie loose and his sleeves rolled up with dirt on his hands and was proud of himself for being a servant. One of the older pastors pointed out to him that while he may feel good about himself for being a servant this way, a tow truck driver, (although getting paid for it) does the same thing all day long without ever priding himself on being such a good servant. Being a servant is not a good deed we do for the day, rather it is a way of life. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Vitamin A said...

I wouldn't want to mess with that guy

Anonymous said...

i thought webb was gonna get called out. nice to have his input